Jun 29, 2006

Moab, here we come!


Well, most of you know that we do things as a family at the last minute. We're spontaneous people....what can we say! I told Jimmy this morning that I wished we could go somewhere this weekend since he is off for both the 3rd and the 4th of July. It would be great to leave before then but with my new job and all I have responsiblities on sunday mornings. Anyway, after mentioning this to Jimmy he said we could do something after church. Well, that was it....that's all I had to hear. I was on it! I went downstairs and got on the laptop and started looking up cool things to do in the surrounding areas. First, I looked at going to Mount Rushmore. Believe it or not, it is only about 6 hours away. I thought about it for a minute, but then moved on. Next, Yellowstone. Ahh, memories! Yellowstone is where me and Jimmy started dating. Almost 12 years ago this July was when we hooked up on our church choir trip. So...I thought about that too, but turns out it is about a 10 hour trip. No to Yellowstone. Last idea was what Jimmy had mentioned before he left for work. Moab, Utah. At the time all I knew Moab from was his work buddies annual biking trips. The name even sounds a bit boring. Well, I looked it up on the computer and was amazed at the pics that came up. Have y'all heard of the Arches National Park. Oh, my! It is absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful red rock arches and wonderful picturesque (sp??) canyons. I was astonished!
Next, I called Jimmy to tell him that I think we should go to Moab. He told me to see if we could find a cabin or somewhere to stay. Again...I was on it! I found this great campground right next to the Arches and not far from the Dead Horse Point National Park. I called them and get this...they had one deluxe cabin left. Now, when I say "deluxe" that basically means these are the cabins that have a refrigerator and a bathroom. We are not to spoiled to do the tent thing, but with Andy being so young we decided to try to get a cabin instead. I was expecting the lady to tell me they were booked solid, but God was smiling down on this poor, tired mother of three. I think He knew how bad I needed to get away! Anyway, just wanted to share with y'all our coming adventure. You know I'll be taking pics so don't worry!

3 comments:

Caci said...

I am so excited for you and your upcoming trip. Ben and I are very "spur of the moment" people too! We do things without very much planning all the time! It is more fun that way, I think! No time to have regrets before you go! I know God provided that cabin for you guys so you could enjoy some time in the beautiful land He created! Have fun and get rested up 'cause we will be there soon!!!!

Missy and Jesse said...

That's awesome you all are going, the arches are truly very gorgeous! I went with my family when I was about 13, and let me just give you one piece of advise...If you decide to go hiking and check out all the arches make it a short hike (not the 2 mile hike) and don't go in the middle of the day especially since it is July (same time we went), and one last thing, make sure to bring a water bottle for everyone (and I'd suggest a color other than black)! Let's just say I have some not so great memories about going to see the arches! But I still think they are gorgeous...have fun!!

Michael said...

This looks like a really cool place to visit. I'm really looking forward to seeing your pics.