Apr 8, 2006

Roseola ain't so rosy!

Our little man is so pitiful! He has Roseola. I noticed yesterday morning that he was warm so I took his temperature. It was kinda funny because the girls had never seen me take his temperature with the rectal thermometer. Emmy was yelling, "no mom, that's gonna hurt him!", and Peyton was so appalled that she had to cover her eyes. Sure enough the boy had 101.4 fever. I decided after calling the pediatric nurse to wait it out and see if it was just some viral thing since he had not shown any other obvious symptoms. I did make an appointment for saturday morning, just in case.
Last night after Jimmy got home we ate dinner and Andy put away his normal amount of food. That's my boy, he's not gonna let some silly fever get in his way of enjoying a good meal. He didn't seem to be too bothered by it. I put him to bed around 8pm and knowing that I would have to check him again around 11:30pm. Jimmy and I watched "King Kong". Well, I watched it, and he played on the computer. He had already seen it twice so I didn't mind this time. Anyway, after the movie was over it was time to go check on my little man. As I walked up the stairs I could hear him stirring in his room. I went in to check his temperature and he had 104.1 fever. I was shocked! I've never had any of my kids get that high of a temp. so I have to say it was a little scary. I gave him some more Tylenol and let him come down to sit with us for a while. He thought he was so special. He was smiling and talking like he was perfectly normal. I gave him some cool water to drink and put him in a cool bath to see if I could get his temp. down before I put him back down. I thought he would hate to have to sit in cool water, but he loved it. He was splashing and squeeling and enjoying himself thoroughly. I managed to get his fever down to 103, so I put him back in bed. He slept pretty good. I knew the medicine would start to wear off around 5am, and that is exactly when he woke up again. More medicine, more water, new diaper and back to sleep he went.
I took him in to the doctor this morning and everything looked fine except for the fever. The doctor said it was probably Roseola and we just had to deal with it for a few days. All we can do is monitor his temperature and treat it with tylenol or motrin and plenty of fluids. Oh, what a fun weekend this will be!
After making a quick run by Wal-Mart to get some Motrin, we headed home for a well-deserved nap. Andy actually woke up from his morning nap with 105 fever. This is going to kill me! I hate it when my kids are sick! Please pray that he gets better soon!

3 comments:

Windy Smith said...

I hope he gets better soon. I hate when my kids get fever like that because know matter how many times it happens it is still a little scary. Atleast he is still eating good. That is a boy for you, know matter how bad they might feel they are still going to eat.

Anonymous said...

He has 105 fever and the doctor's not checking anything else out?

Michelle said...

We were at the ER ourselves today with Noah. The right side of his neck was extremely swollen and he had a fever as well. He cried everytime he moved his head a little, so we took him in immediately. They think he has strep throat, but weren't completely sure. Hopefully both our boys will be feeling better soon. We will definitely be praying for Andy, a fever that high is so scarey!!