Apr 15, 2006

Neighborhood Egg Hunt!


We woke up to pouring rain this morning. It hasn't rained here in I don't know how long. Of course, today the day of our "Neighborhood Egg Hunt" it decides to rain. I called Julia, my neighbor (you know the one who got me into all this egg hunt party stuff) and asked her what we were going to do. At first we thought we would just have to postpone the hunt and just do the food and crafts indoors. I hated this idea, because I knew the egg hunt was what the kids were looking forward to the most. Luckily, by noon or so the weather started to clear up and the sun came out from behind the clouds; just in time to dry up some of the dampness. I was so happy! As you can see from the pics it turned out to be another beautiful day in Colorado!
The kids had such a good time. First they painted and made their own bunny masks to wear. They did such a good job and loved showing them off. While the kids were busy making their masks, Jimmy, Levi and Kai all went out to hide the eggs. It was so funny watching these grown men hiding eggs. They were having way too much fun! Anyway, once they were done and the kids were all ready we lined them up outside with their baskets in hand and told them all the rules. Then they were off! All of them in different directions of course. I had to take turns running back in forth from yard to yard with my camera because Peyton and Emily went opposite directions. It was so fun watching them scoop up as many eggs as they could. We had about 300-400 eggs spread out over 8 yards and they were all found in a matter of maybe 5-7 minutes. It was crazy! Those kids were fast! After the hunt, and the kids had gone through the egg loot, we had a great lunch. Julia had made a ham and everyone else was instructed to bring a side dish and a dessert. I'm posting a pic of the cute utencil carrots I made. I got the idea from a website. I wrapped up green utencils in orange napkins and tied them off with green pipe cleaners. They looked like little carrots. I told you I go crazy with themes! Personally, I think that it's the little "details" that can make a party great! Andy thought they were great. He even tried to taste one. They looked that real! After we all stuffed our faces we went back to my house to play some games. I had set up a few games for the kids in our front yard. I also painted the kid's faces. Peyton always loves to get her face painted so she was first in the chair. I painted a rainbow bunny on her face. She loved it! Emily, my child who is always hesitant to try something new wasn't too sure. Somehow I ended up convincing her to do it. All I could talk her into was a small purple heart. But hey, that was something! Julia, came over later and told all the kids the real story of Easter by using the "Resurrection Eggs. Each egg had a different symbol that the kids could pass around and hold. After you got through all dozen eggs they had heard the story. The last egg was "empty" to represent the tomb being empty and Jesus rising from the dead. It was such a neat way to tell the Easter story. My girls really enjoyed it! All in all, we had a great day outside! I hope you all have a great Easter and remember the true reason why we celebrate this wonderful day! "It is true. Jesus is Risen!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun!! I love the carrot utensils!! That'll go in my idea book for sure. I'm definitely with you--it's all about the details. The details are what make the event feel special. We'll have to be in cahoots together for future parties!

Michelle said...

Ditto on the love for the carrot utensils, and also on the little details! The paper plate bunny faces are precious, I'll have to remember that for future Easter parties.