May 28, 2007

Andy turns 2!


So, we went away for our Memorial Day weekend. It was also Andy's birthday weekend, so we thought it would be a fun getaway. Our destination......Colorado Great Sand Dunes. It was awesome!

Before I post lots of crazy fun pics of our weekend. I wanted you to see a video of Andy on his special day. What a cute kid he is.....we adore him! This year, he had a dinosaur birthday. He loves Dinosaurs.....all kinds, but especially the T-Rex!


We left friday afternoon. We had about a 4 hour drive ahead of us, so Jimmy came prepared with his books on tape choices. A Louis Lamour classic, and two books for the kids to enjoy.....Harriet Bean series. Peyton loves audio books, but these were even better because they had the book too. She followed along with the story for the full 2 hour book. She's pretty impressive. We also played a little game of license plate bingo, which Peyton spanked me in. Quite the gamer she is.

We made it to our campsite around 6:30pm. We had everything set up and ready right around bedtime, so we went to sleep.

Saturday, the kids woke up at the crack of dawn and asked to go to the bathroom. Somewhere in our two camping experiences I've managed to non-verbally assign that job to Jimmy. He doesn't seem to mind, so I'm very grateful.


We headed out to the Sand Dunes National Monument around 8:30am and spent the first 30 minutes or so at the visitor center. It is quite odd to find such massive dunes of sand in Colorado, but be aware....they do exist. They are in fact, the tallest dunes in North America. It was quite spectacular to see!

We then headed to the dunes to prepare for our hiking experience. It was a lot of fun. The kids thought it was great.....well, Peyton and Emily. Andy is not much of the hiker. He kept saying, "Momma", or "Daddy"...."hold you." Again, poor daddy got stuck with that job. I of course, was too busy taking pictures. I got quite a few cool shots too!

Later that day we went back to the campsite to celebrate our little guy's birthday. It was nice. We opened presents, ate dinosaur cake and then grilled some steaks and chicken kabobs.

Sunday, we spent the day at Medano Creek. It is the creek that is at the base of the dunes. Very popular site, especially on Memorial Day weekend. It could almost be considered like a cool beach spot for Colorado. Not nearly as big, but still fun in every way for children. There is plenty of sand and shallow water to play in all day. That is just what we did too.......all day!

Ok, so now I'm going to post the pics. I'm tired, and I have lots of sand-covered laundry to do! Love to you all!

Friday, May 25, 2007


Saturday, May 26, 2007


Sunday, May 27, 2007

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday Andy!!!

Love, The Tapp Fam

Becky said...

What a great trip! I'm so glad everyone had fun. Happy birthday Andy! How do you do that with the black and white pictures with one shot of color? That's so beautiful!

Caci said...

Glad you guys had fun and your coccyx held up all weekend!